4c natural hair is the most fragile hair type there is. Therefore, it needs the most taking care of and looking after. Beyond washing, conditioning and styling, a protein treatment is a great way to take care of your hair.
Using protein treatment for 4c natural hair is a proven way to ensure that your hair maintains ideal health and is able to grow. Proteins are a normal element in your hair. In fact, experts say there is up to 91% protein in your natural hair nutrients and oils.
Another name for protein treatments are keratin treatments so if you are looking for it, you might find them under this name.
What will a protein treatment do for 4c natural hair?
There are a number of benefits to using protein treatment for 4c natural hair and these include:
- They support healthy natural hair roots
- They help maintain your natural balance of proteins, nutrients and oils
- It helps reduce breakage
- They help brighten dull hair
- Protein treatments have been known to stop split ends
- They strengthen weak and brittle hair
- They can restore the elasticity of your hair as well as soften it
- Protein treatments can also give your hair added bounce, body and volume
- They can also help rebuild your hair structure and thicken it
- They have also been known to remove chemical or mineral elements that have made their way into your hair
While these are all important advantages to protein treatments, it should be noted that they do not moisturize hair and therefore need to be accompanies with deep moisturizers or moisturizing treatment. You will also need to follow these treatments with leave-in conditioner and try to lock in moisture.
You can however look out for protein treatments that have the added benefit of giving you moisture.
Signs your hair lacks protein
How can you know when your hair lacks protein? is the next question that comes to mind once you understand the importance of protein in your hair. Yes, there are a few tell-tale signs that your hair lacks protein. What are they?
- Your curls are super week and soft instead of popping
- Hair is constantly shedding
- Your hair feels dry and brittle
How often should you apply protein treatments?
While protein treatments are great for your hair, they are not to be used regularly. Using them every few months or so is okay as they are not great for the moisture of your hair. The amount of protein treatments you need and how often you use it will depend on the state of your hair and how damaged or depleted it is. Once every two to three months is the right place to start until you understand how it affects your hair and what the ideal is for you.
Just remember that too much protein treatment for 4c natural hair will do the opposite of what you need it to do. It could make your stiffer and break more.
What kinds of protein treatments are available?
Protein treatments come in a variety of products including protein conditioners known to add moisture to hair and strengthen your hair follicle. Different conditioners perform different functions such as repairing damaged hair and preventing future damage, repairing split hairs. There are also re-constructors, protein packs, deep penetrating treatments, and light protein treatments.
You can get your protein treatments from different sources – either bought from the store or mixed yourself at home. If you are going to make your own treatment then you need materials that reach in protein.
DIY natural protein treatments are a great way to go especially when everything is fresh. Popularly used materials are eggs, avocado and non-fat plain Greek yoghurt. Each element in this mix does helps improve the health of your hair. The yoghurt adds the much-needed moisture to your hair and also strengthens the hair strands. Eggs are a rich source of protein even in food diets and this is not different for your hair – just make sure to rinse them in cold water. Avocado is a bit of both – moisture and protein. These are not an exhaustive list of possible materials to mix for your protein treatment. You can research and get together as many elements as you like.
How to make your DIY protein treatment for 4c Natural Hair?
This is easy. All you need to do is follow these simple steps:
- Throw everything you have decided to use into a bowl – try to balance the different items taking note of what function they perform in your mix. It doesn’t have to be too much.
- Warm them up a bit being careful when eggs are a part of your mix as you know that heat scrambles and coagulates when heated up.
- Wet your hair or dampen it and then apply your mix into your hair.
- Once your mix has been applied, cover your hair in a plastic cap or bag and let it sit for 30 to 45 minutes however do not let it stay too long as again, it can stiffen and break your hair.
- Wash out the mix from your hair with cool water and then go on to shampoo and condition your hair as you normally would.
If you do not want to go this route and think it is too stressful or too much work for you, you can just buy protein treatments at the store or other products that incorporate protein treatments. Alternatively, most salons now have protein treatments.
This could be a great option the first few times you try it out to get the professional touch before you get the hang of it.
So, there you have it! Protein treatments for 4c natural hair are not just great and have amazing benefits they are an essential so long as you understand how to balance using it just enough and not too much.