The versatility of black women’s hair is as unique as the colors of her skin. From the textures, to the way it can be styled, black women’s hair is truly magic.
To maintain that magic, we have to be consistent with our regimen. And two very important parts of that regimen is shampooing and conditioning our hair
In the post below, I’ll tell you about the best shampoo and conditioners for dry 4c hair.
Best Shampoo and Conditioners for Dry 4c Hair
Natural hair has to be clean always. Asides from the fact that clogged dirt in the hair can make it smell, it can also cause it to mat at the roots. This causes a lot of damage, as well as, makes it susceptible to breakage.
As a woman with 4c hair, you have to pay attention to shampoos and conditioners that are best for your hair type.
You should usually opt for sulfate free products that are rich in organic components. To help you navigate around the hair care aisle better, the following are some of the best products for natural 4c hair;
I love how my hair feels after I wash with this product. It doesn’t feel dry. My scalp feels clean and my hair feels moisturized, but not stripped. I also love how it lathers.
- One of the featured ingredients is manuka honey. This nourishes the hair and helps traps in the moisture.
- Extracts from wild African rock fig are also included. They are rich in vitamin C to strengthen the hair.
- Safe for all natural hair types – this includes damaged and color-treated hair.
Cantu has slowly, over the years, become a household name, and for the right reasons. As a matter of fact, Cantu is regarded as the best natural hair care product, especially for 4c hair. Its main ingredient is Shea butter, which has the following effects on natural hair;
- Averts dryness of hair by moisturizing it
- Repair damages that might have been acquired over time by the use of different products
- It deeply conditions the hair, making it softer and very easy to style
- Protects the hair from UV rays, which can be damaging, as well as, environmental pollutants.
The Cantu Shea butter for natural hair double combo is a great choice for 4c hair. It is also, sulfate, paraben, and cruelty free. This product has worked for many and can definitely work for you too.
In the past, this was one of my favorite Shampoo and Conditioners. I used the conditioner as a co-wash. It soften my 4c hair and worked well to get rid of product build-up. The shampoo is moisturizing, in my opinion, but gentle enough where it doesn’t strip my hair.
- Gently cleans my hair
- Makes my hair feel smooth and soft
- Contains Pro Vitamin B5 to help reduce breakage
- Doesn’t strip hair of natural oils with harsh detergents.
- No parabens, sulfates, petrolatum, lanolin, artificial colors, or animal testing
This amazing product by Shea Moisture is a holy grail of natural 4c hair. One of the effects numerous treatments can have on natural 4c hair is brittle hair.
Using different products can cause this to happen over time, however, with this product, it is different. The Shea moisture Jamaican Black Castor oil set is tender on the hair, as it moisturizes and softens it.
The following are a few benefits you can gain from using it;
- Cleansing of product build up as a result of using too much products.
- Intense moisturize, by Jamaican black castor oil
- Repair of split ends
Scalp PH neutralization, as a result of an active component, apple cider vinegar.
It is also, sulfate free, paraben free, and cruelty free. A good choice that would have your curls flourishing always. You are always assured your hair will be in good shape, as you don’t need to worry about breakage or shrinkage.
The pack contains other essential oils like; peach oil, avocado oil, jojoba oil, sweet almond oil, and carnelia oil. All richly mixed to give your hair the best treatment.
How does this help you?
- It repairs hair that has been damaged as a result of exposure to heat, excess styling, and split ends
- It has an anti frizz formula which prevents frizz, as it adequately, moisturizes 4c hair.
- Prevents additional damage, as it fortifies 4c hair from the root to tip. This makes it less susceptible to breakage and environmental factors.
This sulfate free hair care product keeps your hair in great shape, via continuous use. What’s also great is the scent, not only do you get to take proper care of your hair, but it ends up smelling great too.
These hair care products are arguably the best shampoo and conditioners for dry 4c hair on the market. It gives all the necessary components needed for proper care of 4c hair, as well as, prevents it from further damage. If you have 4c hair, then you might want to purchase one and give your curls the love they deserve always.
What Does 4c Mean?
The texture of hair usually differs and is grouped based on the tightness of the curls/coils.
It is typical to hear us talk about our hair being 3a, 4a, or 4c. This might sound weird, but it really isn’t.
This numerical grading system represents the variations of black hair. The numbers 1, 2, 3, & 4 stand for; straight, wavy, and curly respectively. The letters attached from the side stand for the degree of coil variation in each hair type.
So, if you see a hair type of 4a, it simply means a curly hair with loose coils that aren’t too tight.
However, one the most controversial hair type amongst others is the 4c type hair.
The Characteristics of 4c Hair
4c hair is usually full and thick, as it’s coils are tight in a zig zag pattern. The 4c type, hair has often times referred to as the most “difficult” hair to manage and care for. Why? A lot of black hair types can easily be combed and done with the very famous “wash and go” hair routine.
However, with the 4c hair, you have to worry about shrinkage, detangling, and a lot of breakage. Most women with 4c hair usually opt for protective styles like corn rows. It prevents a lot of breakage and it can be cared for easier
Another major factor that contributes to the shedding of 4c hair is hair care products. 4c hair might be thicker and fuller, however, it is the most fragile hair type.
It suffers easily from heat, humidity, and bad hair care products. So, what are the best hair care products? Keep reading and you’ll find out in a minute.
For more natural hair care tips in general, check out my mega post, The Ultimate Guide to Caring for 4c Hair.